Thursday 5 January 2012

Quorn Thai Green Curry

60/70


Happy new year! 


I hope you have all had a restful festive period and not overindulged too much on the junk food! (I have a little!) I do apologise for the prolonged absence on this blog, I had a particularly busy run up to Christmas with a couple of business trips away and various things going on, I am now properly back on the horse however and have made this amazeballs Thai curry tonight.


I only have 10 recipes left to the end of the cookbook! Eeek....I wonder if 2012 will be the year of the 2nd Quorn cookbook - that would be lovely! I am also considering carrying on this blog with a different book as the focus so watch this space - it will still be veggie focussed of course.


You will notice if you use the link below to the actual recipe that the Quorn website has changed quite radically! I like the new website and the best thing about the new version is that each recipe has fat and calorie details and....WUHOO!!!! The propoints calculations per portion!! I wonder where they got that idea from....hmmmm...anyway my calculation is different for this recipe as I always try to make it skinnier too so I will still include my calculation and then you have the option.


Tonight I thoroughly enjoyed this Thai green curry which was a nice surprise as this is another dish which I frequently make at home anyway so it was weird to cook it in a different way with a different set of ingredients. 


This curry follows the same basic premise as every other Thai curry I have ever made, you cook off the paste in some oil, add chopped shallots, garlic and chilli, the soy-sauce-marinated quorn pieces and then a can of coconut milk (I used reduced fat - hence the point difference between my version and theirs), bring it to a simmer and you effectively have your sauce. At this stage you could add whatever you like (chicken, tofu, veggies etc) but this version calls for blanched asparagus tips, baby corn cobs and green beans plus fresh, thinly sliced courgette and pepper.


It only needs about 4 minutes from here before you add fresh lime juice and chopped coriander, this is what it looked like in the pan before serving:






You can see it is colourful and bursting with veggies - I think this is why we enjoyed it so much, it is incredibly filling and tasty!


This is it served over steamed basmati rice and garnished with chopped spring onions and some more coriander:




Here you can see that this is a typical Thai curry with a very abundant and watery sauce. I actually added half a can of water to the wok after the coconut milk as I know my husband absolutely loves the sauce and this would give us extra.


Although this is a slightly different curry to the one I would normally make because it is more faff (due to more ingredients and therefore prep time) it tastes amazing and is well worth the extra effort. The dish is perfect for a January tea time as it is zinging with flavour and bursting with lots of fresh veg, it was just the ticket for us tonight!


Using reduced fat coconut milk reduces the propoints value by 2 and so a portion works out at 6 propoints (8 with full fat coconut milk as per the Quorn website) the six points is broken down as follows: oil (2), quorn (2), coconut milk (2), soy sauce (1), Thai curry paste (1). This means if you then add a portion of weighed rice for another 6 points you have a blindingly tasty and filling meal for the grand total of 12 propoints - definitely a winner for me!


We give this meal an 8 out of 10 and I will definitely be making it again in the future - another successful Thia meal from Quorn!

No comments:

Post a Comment